Rich, creamy, fragrant, & diverse. This Peanut Curry dish is great on rice, with vegan naan or even on its own!
This recipe was inspired by Vegan Richa, with all the elements of a whole foods plant based lifestyle & some minor modifications. Feel free to tweak this recipe to your liking!
Serves 4 (or 2 if you're really hungry)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom (optional)
- ⅓ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp or more crunchy peanut butter
- ½ cup almond milk (or a plant milk of your choosing)
- ¾ cup water or broth
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 floret cauliflour, chopped
- ½ cup or more sliced carrots
- 1-2 medium russet potatoes, shopped
- 1 large handful of kale, washed & chopped
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained & washed, or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ½ to 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- pepper flakes to taste
- Blend the onion, ginger, garlic with 2 to 3 tbsp water until smooth. Set aside
- Heat water in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne & cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Add in the onion & ginger sauce to the skillet & mix
- Mix in the turmeric & cook until the mixture is well roasted, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add in the peanut butter & almond milk (it will take a few seconds for the peanut butter to blend into the mixture). Add water & stir
- Add the veggies, chickpeas, potatoes & sugar. Mix, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook until the potatoes are cooked through
- Mix in the lime juice & basil. Adjust the tastes to your liking. Add red pepper flakes to taste.
- Continue to simmer for a few more minutes until the curry thickens a little. If you want to thin it out, slowly add more almond milk until you reach the consistency you like. Serve over rice, with vegan naan, or on its own!