Vegan Lentil Burgers
A scrumptious meal perfect for the barbecue, camping, get together's, or any other day of the week! These bad boys are crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, & will satisfy that sandwich craving without harming the animals.
Something THIS easy to make can't be THAT healthy for you, can it? Absolutely. This recipe is for the patty only. How you choose to dress your burger is completely up to you (but please don't tarnish this perfectly healthy meal with cheese - it's just not necessary).
Makes 6 Patties
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed (you could also use canned lentils)
- 2 cups water, plus a splash or two for sauteing
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, finely ground
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- Bring the lentils & water to a boil, reduce to minimum heat, & simmer covered for 45 minutes. If the lentils are in a can you do not need to cook them, simply rinse them off in a strainer
- Saute the onion & carrot in water until they're soft, about 5 minutes
- In a bowl, mix the pepper, soy sauce, oats & oat flour together. Add in the onion & carrot. Add the lentils. Mix well
- Begin forming patties with your hands. You may need to add a tiny bit more water to the mixture for it to form. Place on parchment paper & bake for 20 minutes at 390' Fahrenheit
- Remove from the oven & let cool for 3-5 minutes
- Place a patty on your sandwich bun & customize your own healthy burger!