The title says it all. Surprisingly simple to make & very filling! Perfect as a party dish, appetizer, or a full on meal! You will want to make this over & over again.
Serves 2 (for a meal) or 8-10 (for a party or appetizer)
- 2 lb garnet yams or other red sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 tbsp water or veggie broth
- 2 tbsp green chili peppers, chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can of black beans, drained & washed (or 1.5 cups cooked black beans)
- 8 7-8 inch corn tortillas
- salsa for dipping
- In a large saucepan, cook yam(s), covered, with enough water to submerge them. This takes about 10 minutes
- Drain the water, add the broth/water and mash until smooth
- Stir in the chili peppers, lime juice, cumin, garlic & beans
- Heat a nonstick griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Scoop some of the potato mixture into the tortilla. Fold in half & place on the hot griddle. Press to flatten.
- Cook on both sides until the tortilla is nice and crispy. You can add a splash of water to the tops of the tortilla before flipping them to make them slightly brown.
- Repeat until the potato mixture is all used up
- Top with salsa
- Optional: top with greens & cherry tomatoes as well